Category Archives: Meetings

November meeting

Next meeting: Monday, 16th November
7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 70 Daniell St everyone welcome! 

The Agenda will include:

  • A presentation from FIT – Fair Intelligent Transport – with a proposal for light rail, as introduced at the last meeting – see the item below.
  • A discussion with Hine Moana-Sullivan and Lola Liava’a Tonga from the Wellington City Council Grafitti Removal Team, about their work, their future plans, and the Keep Newtown Clean morning on Saturday 5th December.
This will be the last regular meeting for 2015: do let us know if there are issues you would like addressed before the end of the year, and your thoughts about what the Association could be doing in 2016.

October meeting report

Report on Newtown Residents’ Association October Monthly Meeting and resumed Annual General Meeting, 19th October 2015.

The AGM was re-convened at this meeting –  it couldn’t be completed at the September meeting because the Annual Accounts hadn’t been received from the auditor.  Nominations for Association President were re-opened – there were no nominations in September, but this time Rhona Carson was nominated and accepted the role. The Annual Accounts were presented and accepted, and there was also a report on the successful 2015 Newtown Festival. The full AGM Minutes can be seen here – in draft form until passed at the 2016 AGM.
Other business included:
Trams through Newtown? Ian Shearer from FIT – Fair Intelligent Transport – gave a brief introduction to his organisation’s advocacy for light rail – i.e. trams – to be routed through Newtown and on to the Airport.  We are going to have a full presentation about this at the next meeting, on Monday 16th November.  You can see an introductory article here.
A new lease for Truby King House: Wellington City Council have consulted us about their proposal to lease the property to  Conservation Volunteers New Zealand.  We support this and look forward to welcoming the organisation to our neighbourhood.
Sprucing up our streets?  We are hoping to work with the relevant Council officers to get a better process for keeping our streets clean and in good repair, but it seems difficult to find the right people to talk to.  This is still a work in progress!

October Monthly Meeting and resumed Annual General Meeting: 

Monday, 19th October 2015, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.

All welcome!

The AGM  couldn’t be completed at the September meeting because the Annual Accounts hadn’t been received from the auditor, so it is to be re-convened at this meeting.

Re-opening of Nominations for NRA President – Claire Pettigrew stepped down from the role and there were no other nominations.
Presentation of NRA Financial Report for 2014/15. See the Annual Accounts here.
Newtown Festival Director’s Report and Festival authorisation.

Other Business – please contact us about other items you would like discussed at the October monthly meeting.

Report on the September Meeting

See the draft minutes of the meeting here.

The NRA meeting in September was the Association’s AGM, but in the event only part of the AGM business was concluded, and the AGM was adjourned, to recommence at the October meeting.  Unfortunately the Association accounts had not been received from the auditor and so could not be presented.

Claire Pettigrew presented her Presidents’ Report, and was thanked for all her efforts and achievements during the year.

Election of Officers:

President – there were no nominations. Claire has decided not to stand again as she has more demands on her time now with a full-time job. [27/10//15 – Update -at the second part of the AGM at the October meeting Rhona Carson was nominated for President and accepted the role.]

Secretary – Rhona Carson

Treasurer – Peter Frater, in absentia, subject to his agreement

Vice-President – James Coyle (no nominees for the other 2 possible VP roles)

Past President – Claire Pettigrew

Executive – Carol Comber, Kevin Lethbridge, Steve Dunn, Cheryl Robilliard, Jeanie McCafferty, Steve Cosgrove, Effie Rankin, Martin Hanley.

Steve Cosgrove moved, Rhona Carson seconded, that the people nominated be declared elected unopposed. Carried.

Newtown Festival Appointments

Festival Director: Martin Hanley

Festival Committee: Anna Kemble Welch, James Coyle, Tom Law, Rhona Carson

Festival Review Team: Steve Dunn, Peter Frater (if he continues as Treasurer), Claire Pettigrew – with power to co-opt. Ken Allen said he could be willing to be co-opted.

The AGM was adjourned before the Festival business was concluded; to be continued in October.

Other Business – included a discussion about “Safety on our Streets” prompted by concerns about about men begging for money and hanging around the ATMs intimidating people. Jono Sharp from the Police responded to this, saying that the Police are doing what they can, and advising people to speak to the Police if they are having trouble.

See the meeting minutes for more details of the above topics.

2015 Annual General Meeting

Monday, 21st September, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.
All welcome!

Confirming Minutes of 2014 AGM See here for the Minutes 
Matters arising
President’s Report
Treasurer’s Report – Presentation of Annual Accounts
Election of Officers (President,Treasurer, Secretary, up to 3 Vice-Presidents and up to 9 Executive Members – see last year’s minutes for the current office holders.)
Newtown Festival Director’s Report
Appointment of Festival Director, Festival Committee and Festival Review Team.
Other Business.

Report on the August Residents’ Association Meeting

Brief Notes from the NRA Meeting on August 17th
You can see the full minutes by following this link.

The state of Newtown Streets
Residents are unhappy about the state of our streets and think that the contractors could do a better job.  A recent audit of the amount of rubbish and disrepair listed many problems.  The Association Secretary agreed to write a letter to the WCC about the concerns.

The Newtown Festival has been nominated for a Wellington Airport Regional Community Award (Heritage and Environment Category) in recognition of the work James Coyle and the rest of the recycling steering group and the volunteers put into recycling at the Street Fair this year.  The hope is to inspire other events to increase recycling efforts.  This could include permanent recycling stations on our streets.

Celebrate Newtown: this aspect of the Newtown Festival will run through February to late March 2016. The Festival Committee are inviting people to think of events to run during this time, that can be added to the programme.  If you have proposals, please contact us.

August Meeting

Newtown Residents’ Association Monthly Meeting: 

Monday, 17th August 2015, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.  All welcome! 

Subscriptions are due now – so if you want to be a financial member, with a vote at the AGM on Monday 21st September, please bring a gold coin to the meeting.

We would like to hear about any issues you think should be discussed at the meeting – please contact us.

Report on the NRA July Meeting

The Newtown Residents’ Association met on July 20th 2015.

You can see the meeting minutes here. These were two of the main of the issues discussed:

Efforts to consult with contractors doing potentially disruptive street works.

In mid July Jeanie McCafferty, NRA Vice President and local retailer, became aware that work was about to start on upgrading the trolley wires in Constable St.  There had been no prior consultation, and the work was going to be very disruptive to traffic flows and parking.  Jeanie managed to arrange an emergency meeting with the contractors, other retailers, and WCC representatives, and agreement was reached on doing the work in the least disruptive way, including no Saturday work.  There is more to be done on establishing policies to make sure that in future there will always be consultation with affected parties before work starts.

Submission on Private Plan Change 79

A developer has applied to change the zoning of a property at 42a Riddiford Street from Inner Residential to Suburban Centre.  42a is a back section, and a zoning change would allow it to be amalgamated with properties at 40 and 42 Riddiford St for a combined commercial development.  The neighbours in the Residential zone, particularly in Nikau St, are very concerned about how this will affect them.  The meeting agreed to oppose this change. You can see the NRA Submission here.

July Meeting

The next Residents’ Association Meeting is on Monday 20th July 2015, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.  Please contact us about any issues you would like on the agenda.

Do come and join in the discussion – all welcome!

Report on the June meeting

The Newtown Residents’ Association met on June 15th 2015.

See the June Minutes for a full report on the meeting. These were two of the main topics:

Housing Development

Work has begun on clearing the way for a new Special Housing Development on the site of the empty warehouses between Princess, Horner and Mansfield Streets.  Two residents from Princess Terrace told of being woken at 2am on Wednesday 10 June by a large truck manoeuvring to deliver a raised show home to an empty site.  This link to a Trademe advertisement gives an impression of the houses planned – 34 units, 3 storey with 2-3 bedrooms.

Concerns brought to the meeting were: Princess Tce is the single access road and is inadequate for the expected volumes of traffic; two businesses in the area, a glass storage business and Triptych a conservation business that restores small delicate items, are likely to be impacted by the vibrations and dust during demolition and construction; two of the roofs contain asbestos; earthworks on the bank may impact on the safety and stability of surrounding houses; and there is a risk of channelled water adding to the city’s flooding.

Residents would like to open up a communication channel with the developers.

The meeting agreed that NRA would write to the WCC to support these points.

Ryman’s Tip-top Site

This Hanson St site has been sold to Ryman Healthcare for a boutique retirement village. In the meantime it is still being vandalised with graffiti, which WCC has been cleaning off. Cr Eagle said there has been no real engagement between WCC and Ryman to date.

NRA will write to Ryman asking for more information about their plans.

Notes about the May 2015 meeting

You will find the minutes of the meeting here.

This was a well-attended meeting, with a number of people attending especially to hear from the Salvation Army about their plans for redevelopment.

Salvation Army

Ian McLaren, TSA Property Secretary and Guy Cleverley, Architect, talked about the plans and answered questions, with input from Mark Ashby, Planning Consultant.  You will find a full account in the meeting minutes.  It was emphasised that the plans are at a preliminary stage, with many details still to be worked through.

Following the discussion a motion was put to the meeting: That the NRA supports the concept in principle, subject to consultation going forwards and to neighbours’ concerns. Proposed Tom Law, seconded Evelyn Hopkins. This was countered by a proposal from the floor – That we do not support it until we have received all the documentation.  A vote was taken for and against supporting the concept, with a majority in favour of support but a sizeable minority dissenting. We look forward to continuing consultation as the plans develop.

Keep Newtown Clean

This will be the subject of a separate post.  In brief, the NRA has been asked to bring the Keep Newtown Clean project under the Association’s umbrella, and following discussion agreed to do this.  The plan is to move from a monthly clean-up to events four times a year.  We will be looking for a volunteer co-ordinator – or group of co-ordinators.

WCC Gambling Venues Policy Review

Submissions on this policy are due on Friday 22nd May. George Darroch from the Problem Gambling Foundation spoke to the meeting about the work of the Foundation and about their observations of the harm gambling is doing to local families. Following discussion the meeting agreed unanimously that the NRA

  • Supports a ‘sinking lid’ for gaming machines
  • Supports the money from gaming trusts coming back to the community where the gaming machines are located,
  • Advocates for a gaming machine-free southern ward.

Following the meeting these resolutions formed the basis for the NRA submission to the WCC on the gambling venues policy.

The next NRA meeting will be on June 15th, 7.30pm – as usual,  at the Newtown Community Hall in Daniell St.

May 2015 Meeting

The next Residents’ Association Meeting is on Monday May 18th, 7.30pm,  at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St. All welcome!

The agenda includes –

The Salvation Army are coming to discuss their plans for a new development on Normanby, Riddiford and Donald MacLean Streets. Read more about the plans… They are keen to obtain feedback and answer any questions.  This is one of the biggest property developments in our suburb for many years, and the discussion should be of interest to all in Newtown.

The Gambling Venues Policy review closes at 5pm on Friday 22 May.  We will be discussing the issue, and hope to have the input of a Council Officer familiar with the topic.  We will then be looking to form a small group to work quickly to write a submission based on our discussion.  If you are interested, please come – or please let us know by emailing on

Discussion on the future of Keep Newtown Clean.

If you have other items, or questions, please email us, as above.

Notes of the April 2015 Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting

Long Term Plan

The draft submission was discussed and agreed, with some comparatively minor amendments.

 Keep Newtown Clean

David Wilcock gave an overview of starting KNC because since WCC street cleaning services were contracted out standards had declined. Things have improved with a new contractor – David and other NRA members met with the contractor recently. However there is no proactive monitoring of cleanliness – people report concerns to WCC and the contactor responds. The WCC “Fix-it” app is the easiest way to do this.

At present the monthly KNC clean-up sessions are on hold while the future of the project is considered.

There was a lively discussion with many meeting attendees unhappy with the state of Newtown’s streets and public spaces. An ‘audit of cleanliness’ was suggested to record the jobs that need doing.

The bollards used for posters were discussed – these were provided as a public facility but later Phantom Billstickers were given the rights to use them. As a result posters for local events can’t get put up there – it was suggested that we attempt to get at least some of them back for local use.


Effie Rankin talked of observing many cyclists disobeying road rules – eg riding on foothpaths, riding across pedestrian crossings and through red lights. She advocated better cyclist education about the road rules and better enforcement. Again a vigorous discussion – centering on whether motorists or cyclists are the most frequent offenders! However there was general agreement that all need to follow the road code.

Tom Law reported that progress on cycleways is halted until the WCC have done more work on a Wellington-wide strategy.

 John Street Protocols

Jeanie McCafferty talked with roading contractors recently and discovered that they had never heard of the protocols, but were interested to read them and liked them. Jeanie would like to take if further with Council and get the protocols in common use – met with general approval. [The John St Protocols were developed during the building of the Countdown Supermarket in John St.]

 Caltex site

Chevron have now put the site in South Riddiford St up for tender, agent Baileys, closing in May. David Wilcock suggested that Council require public parking be provded as part of any new development.

Next Meeting Monday 18th May 2015, 7.30pm

April Meeting

The next Residents’ Association Meeting is on Monday, 20th April, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St. All welcome!

We will be discussing the Residents’ Association submission on the WCC Long Term Plan – a group is currently working on this.  Submissions are officially due on Friday 17th April, but we have been allowed an extension until after this meeting.  Click here to read the NRA Draft Submission. If you won’t be at the meeting on Monday please email us with any comments.

If you have other items you would like on the agenda please let us know –

Minutes of the March 2015 Residents’ Association Meeting

On March 16th we discussed the Wellington City Council Long Term Plan and the WCC Social Housing Policy.

Other topics included a review of the Keep Newtown Clean project, the recent Civic Hakathon, proposals for improvements to the Wellington Bus service, and concerns about the safety of verandahs.

We also passed a vote of thanks to Festival Director Martin Hanley and the rest of the NRA Festival Committee for a most successful 2015 Newtown Festival.

Read the full minutes here – there is a lot of interesting detail.