Category Archives: Meetings

Meet the Candidates – September 5th

We are holding a Meet the Candidates Meeting for the Rongotai Electorate on Tuesday September 5th at St Anne’s Hall, Emmett St, Newtown. The doors open at 7.10pm, and the meeting will start promptly at 7.30pm. Patrick Morgan will be in the chair. The formal presentations, questions and answers will be followed by supper and time for informal chats – we do a good supper!

Election Day is Saturday September 23rd, but advance voting opens on Monday September 11th and you can vote from then on.  Come along the week before and hear what the candidates for our electorate have to say.

Are you enrolled to vote? If not, you can do this any time up until September 22nd – find out how here. There are more then 5500 people of voting age in our electorate who aren’t enrolled – if you are one of them, now’s your chance to change that and to make this the election when you have your say!

Advertisements

Notes from the July Meeting

Notes from the Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting July 17 2017

Association Membership  The financial year runs from July 1st to June 30th, so memberships need renewing now. Everyone is welcome to come to meetings – members and non-members. The difference is that members can vote and can stand for office at the AGM. It is also a great way of showing support for the work of the Association. The fee is still a gold coin, which can be paid at any Association meeting (the next meeting is on August 21st). Email us if you would like to join but can’t get to the meeting.

Progress on Newtown Festival Trust  Forming a Trust to run the Festival has been under discussion for several years, and the Association passed a motion in February asking for this to be expedited. The Newtown Festival Trust has now been established, with Anna Kemble Welch and James Coyle as foundation trustees. The intention is to bring three more trustees on board in the near future, and we are very pleased that Ian McKinnon has agreed to be one of these three. An application for charitable status has been lodged with Charities Services. When all five trustees have been appointed and Charitable Status has been granted the Newtown Residents’ Association will be asked to pass a resolution to hand over responsibility for the Newtown Festival to the Trust. We are very grateful to the lawyers, Chapman Tripp, who have been advising us and doing the necessary legal work on a ‘pro bono’ basis.

Cycling in Newtown  Patrick Morgan reported that cycle ways through Newtown are about to be discussed again.  Watch for Council engagement opportunities. [Since the meeting it has been announced that there will be opportunities to discus this with the WCC team at the Newtown Market at Newtown School on Saturday 29th July, 8am-12 noon, and at St Annes Hall on Tuesday August 1st 4pm-7pm. See more at http://transportprojects.org.nz]

Carrara Park gardens  Lachie (Lachlan Marshall, the local Salvation Army officer) outlined how he and some Church associates became involved with maintaining the Park.  They have been there every Tuesday morning since 6 May.  He has been consulting with Linnéa Lindstroem, who was one of the founders of the Newtown Community Gardens group, Martin Hanley and Rhona Carson and others from the Association – our Association holds the lease to use the garden beds. Linnéa is willing and able to coordinate revitalising the Community Gardens, and there are ideas for raised garden beds (part of the original plans), and ideas for composting.  A Council grant will fund materials for the garden beds. Ray Tuffin (WCC Liaison Officer) has had inquiries from childcare centres and older people for garden spaces to maintain.

General Election: Meet the Candidates Meeting  Our Residents Association has traditionally hosted these meetings before elections, and would like to do so again. Voting opens on Monday September 11th and it is proposed to hold the meeting during the week before. Patrick has offered to chair the meeting again, and the offer was accepted with acclamation. [It has now been confirmed that the meeting will be on Tuesday September 5th, 7.30pm at St Anne’s Hall, Emmett St.]

Matariki event in Carrara Park – Saturday 29 July  The Russian Orthodox Community are hosting this event, and have been consulting the Newtown Festival Office about logistics. People from a local Kohanga Reo have also been involved in the planning.

Residents parking on Constable Street  A Constable St resident introduced this topic, outlining the extreme pressure on parking in this area. WCC have been approached about the possibility of Residents Parking – if this was implemented it would only be possible on one side of the street. The situation in Colombo St, where there is residents parking combined with time limited parking for non-residents, was described – this has been very successful. The discussion covered parking issues in Newtown generally, including the continuing concerns about how the proposed Mary Potter apartments might increase parking demand.

Cleaning up the Town Belt vegetation  One of our members noted the amount of introduced weeds on parts of the Town Belt and asked if there would be interest in a working bee to remove them. It was noted that they would need to be replaced with suitable planting. We would need to consult with WCC, but it was thought that a working bee could be possible if this was approved.

Next meeting
Monday August 21st, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St. Please email if you have suggestions of items for the agenda.

 

June Meeting Notes

Notes from the Association Meeting on Monday 19th June 2017.
Future bus services.
Daran Ponter, from the Greater Wellington Regional Council, was the guest speaker, telling us about the new bus services which will be operating from 2018. Full details of all changes and affected routes can be found here, or pick up a brochure about Newtown services from Kia Ora Newtown. The aim is to increase capacity without putting more buses onto congested roads. The changes will involve higher capacity buses and simplified routes. The ‘spoke and hub’ model that was originally proposed has been modified, and the routes are now much more straightforward. Good news for University students is that their voices have been heard and the number 18 service will be retained at peak hours.
People at the meeting asked about the decision to replace the trolley buses before the promised electric buses are available. Daran explained the decision for replacement was made in 2015. It wasn’t unanimous but the majority ruled. The work has already been delayed, and it isn’t practical to keep putting it off.
There was also interest in the prospects for light rail, and Daran confirmed that ‘
Let’s get Welly moving’ has reinvigorated the discussion.

Submission on the Prince of Wales/Omāroro Reservoir
The submission is due on 17th July. We discussed that the Association would make a submission that recognises the need for an emergency water supply. However the construction will have a significant impact on local residents, and we agreed that our submission will emphasise the need for mitigation of the effects of this, and also the need to protect the environment, in particular the Waitangi Stream tributary and the Papawai stream.

June Meeting

Monday 19th June 20177.30pm

Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting

The Agenda will include a presentation about Wellington’s new bus service, starting in 2018. What does this mean for Newtown? Come and find out! The speaker is Daran Ponter from the Greater Wellington Regional Council.

We will also discuss what might be said in a submission from the Association about the Prince of Wales/Omāroro Reservoir.

The meeting will be in the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.  All welcome!

May Meeting Notes

Notes of the Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting – May 15 2017

See the full minutes of the meeting here.

Robyn Langlands from Playspace , supported by Tom Hovey, spoke about the risk that their Centre will have to close if they don’t find new premises.

  • Current property at 235 Adelaide Rd is being developed after purchase in 2012.
  • Lease expires start of 2018.
  • They offer a research-based childcare model.
  • They need100 square metres indoors – 90 outdoors.

The discussion considered some possibilities of existing venues where shared use might be possible. Playspace are interested to explore all options.

Our Town Newtown – information from Cally O’Neill, Project Facilitator

Cally introduced herself and her background as a Freelance Architectural Designer, who follows the principles of participatory design – bringing design closer to those using the asset being designed.

See here for more about the Our Town Newtown Project.

Ray Tuffin’s Report (WCC Newtown Liaison Officer) covered these topics-

  • Begging outside the mall
  • Open spaces being investigated for potential for community space, occupational activity
  • Homelessness in general a big issue (discussion from the floor with accounts of people unable to find appropriate housing)
  • Replacing the footpaths and kerbing Hospital to Constable St is currently underway
  • Newtown School swimming pool upgrade is $300,000 over budget, needs further consideration.
  • Carrara Park has had some improvements but still no firm plans for toilets, barbecue, drinking fountain
  • Changes happening to bus stops – part of GWRC changes to bus routes
  • Traffic Light boxes – frustrations getting graffiti cleared, not using usual contractors, a different team involved.

Salvation Army community liaison: Lachlan Marshall introduced himself.

  • He and his wife have recently been posted to Newtown. They are working together to do things to benefit the community.
  • TSA have a rehabilitation programme and there are people involved who are looking for something to do. Lachie has been in discussion with Carrara Park Newtown Community Garden. WorkerBe Oasis is another possibility.

Wellington South Community Patrol: Carol Comber brought a request that our Association write a letter of support for this group, which has been nominated for a community award. The Patrol drive around our local suburbs at night, liaise with Police about any problems observed. The meeting agreed to support their cause.Agreed.

Update on Airport Runway Extension Consent Process –Currently there is court action from the Airline Pilots Association objecting to approval of runway length.

The Environment Court has put the issue on hold in the meantime.

Consultations: WCC and Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment

  • There are 3 submissions due by 20th
  • Annual Plan submission – main points, continuing financial support for Newtown Festival, ongoing request for toilets and drinking fountain in Carrara Park
  • Waste Minimisation Proposals – submission to support the proposals.
  • MBIE: Proposal to Establish Urban Development Authorities – submission to oppose overriding District Plan rules etc.

Next meeting: Monday 19th June 2017, 7.30pm. Newtown Community Hall, 71 Daniell St.

 

 

No Residents’ Association Meeting in April

Our regular Association meeting is on the 3rd Monday of the month, but this month that day is Easter Monday.  The Association Executive considered meeting on the following Monday, but that is the day before Anzac Day and again a number of people are taking a long weekend.  We decided to cancel the meeting for the month.

The next Residents’ Association Meeting will now be 7.30pm on Monday May 15th.  As usual we will meet at the Newtown Hall. 71 Daniell St.

Notes from the March meeting.

The Residents’ Association meeting on March 20th focussed on reports and updates about local issues. These are some of the topics discussed.

Neighbour’s Night

Daphne Pilaar, one of the main organisers, gave a summary of the very successful evening – thanking the variety of individuals and organisations involved. See here for a full description of the evening.

Newtown Festival Street Fair Day, Sunday March 5th

Rhona Carson reported on another successful event.

Plans to create a Trust to run the Festival are moving ahead, and a motion was passed requesting that this process be completed by the end of the financial year – a practical time for ease of accounting.

Garage Sale, Saturday March 11th – a very wet day, but some people participated.

Bike KREW Rodeo – was to have been on Sunday March 12th, but extreme weather conditions meant it was postponed till Saturday March 18th. About 30 children, with caregivers took part – a good number and a successful first Bike KREW Rodeo. Many thanks to ReBicycle and to the Communities on Bikes fund.

Our Town Newtown – the project planning for community facilities in Newtown.

Currently it seems that the community input phase will take longer than the planned June timeframe. The next step is a working group meeting in early April, and news of other community events should follow soon after.

There is a questionnaire almost ready to send out, and we are hoping that there will be a good rate of response when the time comes.

WCC Annual Plan

Our local Councillors, Paul Eagle and David Lee, gave an update on the Annual Plan process and outlined some of the proposals in the draft.

There was less public participation in the development of the draft Annual Plan for 2017/18, but there will be public consultation before it is finalised.

Predator-Free Mt Cook / Newtown

This project has been expanded to include Newtown.

David Lee reported that a workshop on March 19th produced about 70 traps. The target is about 250. (One house in five is sufficient to gain control over rats.)

Contact the organisers (Gary and Andrew) if you would like to be involved – mailto:predatorfreemcn@gmail.com

Local Housing

WCC is half-way through a 30-year plan to refurbish its housing.

Housing New Zealand are reconditioning some of their buildings.

No new special housing areas have been created. The meeting expressed concern about the process and consequences of granting Special Housing Area status.

History Projects

An attendee with a special interest in history asked for an update. There are two projects on the go – one describing the history of Newtown and the other the history of the Wellington South Licensing Trust. Both of these are in the process of transferring data into an online format, and are still works in progress.

Suggestions were made for local Improvements, including:

“Welcome to Newtown” signs to promote and show pride in our suburb, extended Library hours on Saturdays and improved speed management on local streets.

See here for the full minutes of the meeting.

Notes from the February Meeting

The first meeting for 2017 was on the 20th February.

  • We heard an outline of the plans for the Prince of Wales reservoir from the Wellington Water Project Director Ulvi Salayev.  Wellington Water are currently preparing their Resource Consent application. The next public consultation is 6 May. It will be advertised in the media.
  • Gary Scott from Mt Cook Mobilised spoke about his initiative to make Mt Cook predator-free through the widespread use of trapping tunnels.
  • Daphne Pilaar outlined the plans for the Residents’ Association Neighbours’ Night at Newtown Park on February 24th.
  • Ray Tuffin (WCC Community Advisor for Newtown) reported on his many activities.
  • Rhona Carson (Association President) outlined the process for the community involvement with WCC decisions on redeveloping community facilities. The project is known as ‘Our Town Newtown’.
  • The meeting decided to keep the membership fees for the Association at a gold coin, as it has been for some years.

See the full minutes of the meeting here.

Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting 20th February – all welcome!

The Newtown Residents’ Association first meeting for 2017 is on Monday, 20th February, 7.30 pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.

The agenda will include:

Welcome to visitors:

* Phillippa Ross-James and colleagues from Wellington Water will speak about the Prince of Wales Reservoir Project. See here  for an overview of the project, and follow the link to the December Update for issues raised at the open days.

* Pat Leota, a Work Broker from the Ministry of Social Development office in Newtown, will tell us about the WINZ Projects in the Community – a scheme for subsidising wages or training for people working on community projects.

* Gary Scott, to talk about the Mt Cook Pest Free Initiative.

Daphne Pilaar will report on plans for our Residents’ Association “Neighbours’ Night at Newtown Park” 5-8pm Friday 24th February – with a request for volunteers to help on the night.

An update from Ray Tuffin about Kia Ora Newtown and the way his role is developing.

Progress report on the Newtown Community Facilities Project – to be called “Our Town Newtown”

Newtown Festival and Celebrate Newtown events. See the Festival website (http://www.newtownfestival.org.nz) for all the details – there’s lots to look at and listen to!

Proposal for a Newtown History Walk

A discussion of our membership fees for the 2017-18 year (its in our rules that we do this in February)

Submissions and Consultations

* Playspaces Policy

* Airport runway extension. The hearing in the Environment Court will start on 3rd July. We have to decide by 3rd March whether we want to speak to our submission at the hearing

* WCC Annual Plan 2017-18 – initial engagement

November meeting minutes

Notes from the Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting
Monday 21st November

See the full minutes of the meeting here.

Annual Accounts
These were presented to the meeting and accepted – at the time of the AGM in September they were still with the auditor.
Submissions
WCC Draft Playspaces Policy – NRA submission made
Airport runway extension S274 Notice – ready.
Introducing Ray Tuffin
Ray is the Newtown Community Liaison Officer employed by Wellington City Council, and has been in the job 3 weeks. Ray is the link between Community and Council – you can contact him on ray.tuffin@wcc.govt.nz if you have anything to report or discuss concerning WCC services.
He outlined his role and some current WCC projects coming to Newtown –

  • Blindsquare – an app helping blind people navigate around business area and shops based on verbal directions.
  • Eyeson – Retail security program to link businesses with other support to prevent shoplifting.

An office at 8 Constable Street will be Ray’s base, and also available for other community use.
See the full minutes for more about what Ray has been doing.
Emergency Response
Ray and Bessie were among the WCC staff on duty at the WREMO centre 24/7 since the earthquake on 14/11.  They described how this unfolded and the many tasks WCC were involved with in helping people .
Issues for the 2017 WCC Annual Plan
We have started thinking about what we might include in a submission to WCC next year. Please contact us if you have any comments or anything to add!
Suggestions

  • Carrara Park facilities – drinking water and toilet
  • General beautification – particularly trees
  • Support laneways project – currently in CBD, extend to Newtown?
  • Perhaps include signage too
  • Query about whether WCC ‘Placemaking’ project is still current
  • Love the Bay has found people want spaces to rest and watch
  • Reclaiming poster bollards
  • Sculptures about the place – would Wellington Sculpture Trust operate in suburbs?
  • Working with Newtown School on plans for the swimming pool

This was the final formal meeting for 2016 – next meeting Monday 20th February 2017.

November meeting notice

November meeting: Monday 21st November, 7.30 pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.  All welcome!

This will be a great opportunity to meet Ray Tuffin, the newly appointed WCC Newtown Liaison Officer, and hear about what he can do to help all Newtown residents and business people in their dealings with the Council. In his two weeks in the job he has already been following up complaints about weed growth, flooding, and other issues that have been plaguing us. He has been out and about, meeting people and getting to know the community, and is very enthusiastic about his new role.  NB – working with WREMO on facilitating a Newtown Community Response Plan is among Ray’s priorities.

Also, the November meeting is the last formal Residents’ Association meeting for the year and a good time to discuss any issues we would like to see included in the 2017 WCC Annual Plan – the call for submissions will come out before our next meeting in February, so lets be prepared!

October meeting notes

This meeting was held on Monday 17th October, 7.30pm at the Newtown Hall in Daniell Street, and these were some of the main topics.

WCC Newtown Liaison Officer and Newtown office

It was announced that Ray Tuffin has been appointed to this position. He has a business and community background, and will be starting on 31st October. We are looking forward to welcoming him to his new role.  WCC is planning to lease a Newtown Office, and this was mentioned in a WCC Resiliency Newsletter.

Neighbours’ Day is approaching – 25th – 26th March.  We discussed possible events we might initiate, a small group is to consider further.  Application for funding needs to go to Council by the end of the month – 28/10.

Airport Runway submission

Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) and Wellington City Council (WCC) have prepared reports on the resource consent application for the Wellington International Airport runway extension, which are available here.  We decided to apply to be a party to the Environment Court proceedings, when the time comes.

WCC Play Spaces consultation.

Discussion of playgrounds in Newtown, and the use of the Town Belt. Noted Carrara Park playground is on the cover of the consultation document.  Submissions close 5pm 18th November. To consider further.

Community Patrol

Tom Law reported that when cars were being interfered with and broken into over a few weeks a month or two ago there were complaints that the Police were not around. However in fact the Police were involved with undercover patrols, and the Community Patrol were also keeping an eye on things. The Police worked well in catching a suspected offender.  Tom is happy to hear from people interested in joining the Community Patrol.

Community Engagement Planning

This is the process for gathering community views on the redevelopment of  community facilities in Newtown, and coming up with a plan for how the funds set aside in the Long Term Plan should be spent. NRA has committed to taking a lead role in coordinating the community engagement process, and we agreed a planning group of NRA members and Newtown Community Centre people would workshop ideas for how to take this forward.

Congratulations to Wellingtonian of the Year nominees.

Martin Hanley and Anna Kemble Welch have been nominated in recognition of their 22 years involvement with the Newtown Festival. The meeting expressed hearty congratulations and good wishes to them both.

 See the full meeting minutes here.

Next meeting: Monday November 21st 2016, 7.30 pm at the Newtown Hall, 71 Daniell St.

 

 

 

2016 AGM notes

Notes on the Newtown Residents’ Association Annual General Meeting

The meeting was held on Monday September 19th, 7.30pm at the Newtown Community Hall, 71 Daniell Street.

The President, Rhona Carson, reported on a busy and successful year. Hightlights included:

  • Meeting with the Wellington City Council CEO and other Council officers in May and the resulting decision for WCC to appoint a Newtown Liaison Officer. [An appointment has been made and will be announced in the near future.]
  • We have made submissions to Wellington City Council on the 2016 Annual Plan, the Town Belt Bill, the Dog Policy and the Animal Bylaw, and to Greater Wellington Regional Council on the Airport Runway Extension.
  • The Newtown Festival was again a great success, and WCC recognised its importance by increasing its grant for 2017 – although not as much as we had asked for.
  • Keep Newtown Clean has continued on a quarterly basis – the next event is on Saturday 3rd December.  Its is well supported by Wellington City Council and by David Wilcock of the Newtown Business Group, who started it off in 2013. Extra special thanks go to Dave and Liz of SB Maintenance, the graffiti removal contractors, who have helped voluntarily ever since KNC started, and to Newtown New World who donate all the supplies for the BBQ.
  • The St Thomas’s Courtyard Garden project is continuing to redevelop the garden on Riddiford St. There was a very enjoyable afternoon tea in the garden on Neighbours’ Day in March
  • The Meet the Candidates Meeting on September 13th. Rhona thanked all involved, in particular Patrick Morgan for his contribution to organising and chairing the meeting.

Financial Report
The audited accounts are not yet available; as with last year the AGM will need to be reconvened at a later date so they can be presented. There is no need for concern; the finances are in good shape with reserves in the bank.

Elections – Newtown Residents’ Association Executive 2016-2017

  • President:  Rhona Carson
  • Secretary: No nominations. Rhona Carson will continue in the meantime.
  • Treasurer:  Jane Patterson
  • Vice Presidents James Coyle, Martin Hanley, Kevin Lethbridge (continuing as membership secretary)
  • Executive Carol Comber, Steve Cosgrove (minutes secretary), Steve Dunn, Peter Frater,  Keith Powell, Martin Powell, Stephen Pritchard, Effie Rankin,Cheryl Robilliard,

Proposals discussed:
Community engagement process for deciding on how to spend the money set aside in the Long Term Plan for redeveloping Newtown community facilities. WCC have asked our Association to be the lead agency in this process, and AGM discussed this and passed a motion agreeing that we will take on this role.

Change of name for Newtown Residents’ Association? It has been proposed that there should be one Association including Residents, Business people and others with an interest in Newtown. See the relevant report here. Our rules allow us to be this Association, should we change our name to reflect this? There were mixed views, and it was agreed that we would continue to think about these issues.

Newtown Festival
Planning is underway for the 2017 Festival. The Festival Committee are making progress towards establishing a Charitable Trust to run future Festivals – this has been an idea in development since 2014. We expect it will come to pass before the next Festival takes place. In the interim the Association passed the Festival’s annual operational funding and management resolution, which empowers the Director to run the Festival, and appointed the Festival officers –

  • Newtown Festival Director – Martin Hanley
  • Newtown Festival Committee – Anna Kemble Welch, Tom Law, Rhona Carson, Keith Powell, James Coyle, Andrew Leggott and Simon Wood
  • Newtown Festival Review Team – Peter Frater, Steve Dunn, Ken Allen.

See the full AGM Minutes here (in draft form until confirmed at the 2107 AGM) and Presidents’ Report here.

Notice of 2016 Annual General Meeting

 

Monday 19th September, 7.30pm, Newtown Hall 71 Daniell St

Agenda: 
Confirming Minutes of 2015 AGM See here for the Minutes 
Matters arising
President’s Report
Treasurer’s Report

Discussion of proposals for the Residents’ Association:

  • Proposal that NRA take on the WCC contract for community engagement re use of funds for community facilities.
  • It has been proposed that there should be one Association including Residents, Business people and others with an interest in Newtown. See the relevant report here. Our rules allow us to be this Association, should we change our name to reflect this?

Election of Officers (President, Treasurer, Secretary, up to 3 Vice-Presidents and up to 9 Executive Members – see last year’s minutes for the current office holders.)

Newtown Festival Director’s Report

Discussion of development of Newtown Festival Trust
Appointment of Festival Director, Festival Committee and Festival Review Team

Other Business.