Notes of the Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting – May 15 2017
Robyn Langlands from Playspace , supported by Tom Hovey, spoke about the risk that their Centre will have to close if they don’t find new premises.
- Current property at 235 Adelaide Rd is being developed after purchase in 2012.
- Lease expires start of 2018.
- They offer a research-based childcare model.
- They need100 square metres indoors – 90 outdoors.
The discussion considered some possibilities of existing venues where shared use might be possible. Playspace are interested to explore all options.
Our Town Newtown – information from Cally O’Neill, Project Facilitator
Cally introduced herself and her background as a Freelance Architectural Designer, who follows the principles of participatory design – bringing design closer to those using the asset being designed.
See here for more about the Our Town Newtown Project.
Ray Tuffin’s Report (WCC Newtown Liaison Officer) covered these topics-
- Begging outside the mall
- Open spaces being investigated for potential for community space, occupational activity
- Homelessness in general a big issue (discussion from the floor with accounts of people unable to find appropriate housing)
- Replacing the footpaths and kerbing Hospital to Constable St is currently underway
- Newtown School swimming pool upgrade is $300,000 over budget, needs further consideration.
- Carrara Park has had some improvements but still no firm plans for toilets, barbecue, drinking fountain
- Changes happening to bus stops – part of GWRC changes to bus routes
- Traffic Light boxes – frustrations getting graffiti cleared, not using usual contractors, a different team involved.
Salvation Army community liaison: Lachlan Marshall introduced himself.
- He and his wife have recently been posted to Newtown. They are working together to do things to benefit the community.
- TSA have a rehabilitation programme and there are people involved who are looking for something to do. Lachie has been in discussion with Carrara Park Newtown Community Garden. WorkerBe Oasis is another possibility.
Wellington South Community Patrol: Carol Comber brought a request that our Association write a letter of support for this group, which has been nominated for a community award. The Patrol drive around our local suburbs at night, liaise with Police about any problems observed. The meeting agreed to support their cause.Agreed.
Update on Airport Runway Extension Consent Process –Currently there is court action from the Airline Pilots Association objecting to approval of runway length.
The Environment Court has put the issue on hold in the meantime.
Consultations: WCC and Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment
- There are 3 submissions due by 20th
- Annual Plan submission – main points, continuing financial support for Newtown Festival, ongoing request for toilets and drinking fountain in Carrara Park
- Waste Minimisation Proposals – submission to support the proposals.
- MBIE: Proposal to Establish Urban Development Authorities – submission to oppose overriding District Plan rules etc.
Next meeting: Monday 19th June 2017, 7.30pm. Newtown Community Hall, 71 Daniell St.