The President, Rhona Carson, reported on a busy and successful year. Hightlights included:
- Meeting with the Wellington City Council CEO and other Council officers in May and the resulting decision for WCC to appoint a Newtown Liaison Officer. [An appointment has been made and will be announced in the near future.]
- We have made submissions to Wellington City Council on the 2016 Annual Plan, the Town Belt Bill, the Dog Policy and the Animal Bylaw, and to Greater Wellington Regional Council on the Airport Runway Extension.
- The Newtown Festival was again a great success, and WCC recognised its importance by increasing its grant for 2017 – although not as much as we had asked for.
- Keep Newtown Clean has continued on a quarterly basis – the next event is on Saturday 3rd December. Its is well supported by Wellington City Council and by David Wilcock of the Newtown Business Group, who started it off in 2013. Extra special thanks go to Dave and Liz of SB Maintenance, the graffiti removal contractors, who have helped voluntarily ever since KNC started, and to Newtown New World who donate all the supplies for the BBQ.
- The St Thomas’s Courtyard Garden project is continuing to redevelop the garden on Riddiford St. There was a very enjoyable afternoon tea in the garden on Neighbours’ Day in March
- The Meet the Candidates Meeting on September 13th. Rhona thanked all involved, in particular Patrick Morgan for his contribution to organising and chairing the meeting.
The audited accounts are not yet available; as with last year the AGM will need to be reconvened at a later date so they can be presented. There is no need for concern; the finances are in good shape with reserves in the bank.
Elections – Newtown Residents’ Association Executive 2016-2017
- President: Rhona Carson
- Secretary: No nominations. Rhona Carson will continue in the meantime.
- Treasurer: Jane Patterson
- Vice Presidents James Coyle, Martin Hanley, Kevin Lethbridge (continuing as membership secretary)
- Executive Carol Comber, Steve Cosgrove (minutes secretary), Steve Dunn, Peter Frater, Keith Powell, Martin Powell, Stephen Pritchard, Effie Rankin,Cheryl Robilliard,
Community engagement process for deciding on how to spend the money set aside in the Long Term Plan for redeveloping Newtown community facilities. WCC have asked our Association to be the lead agency in this process, and AGM discussed this and passed a motion agreeing that we will take on this role.
Change of name for Newtown Residents’ Association? It has been proposed that there should be one Association including Residents, Business people and others with an interest in Newtown. See the relevant report here. Our rules allow us to be this Association, should we change our name to reflect this? There were mixed views, and it was agreed that we would continue to think about these issues.
Planning is underway for the 2017 Festival. The Festival Committee are making progress towards establishing a Charitable Trust to run future Festivals – this has been an idea in development since 2014. We expect it will come to pass before the next Festival takes place. In the interim the Association passed the Festival’s annual operational funding and management resolution, which empowers the Director to run the Festival, and appointed the Festival officers –
- Newtown Festival Director – Martin Hanley
- Newtown Festival Committee – Anna Kemble Welch, Tom Law, Rhona Carson, Keith Powell, James Coyle, Andrew Leggott and Simon Wood
- Newtown Festival Review Team – Peter Frater, Steve Dunn, Ken Allen.
See the full AGM Minutes here (in draft form until confirmed at the 2107 AGM) and Presidents’ Report here.