The Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) is undertaking a review of Wellington buses. The proposals have implications for Newtown and Berhampore residents.
This link will take you to information about the planned changes to the bus service. http://www.gw.govt.nz/ptplan
The current proposals include the following changes:
- Replace the Newtown Park Zoo bus (10) with the Houghton Bay (23)
- Change the route of the Southgate (22) so that it travels along Russell Terrace – Riddford St – Constable St.
- During the off-peak the frequency will be increased from hourly to every 30 minutes. However, passengers travelling to and from the city on the Houghton Bay and Southgate services will need to transfer to another bus at the “Newtown hub” located outside Wellington Hospital.
- There will be 3 direct services to and from the Railway Station to Houghton Bay and Southgate at peak times.
- There will no longer be a link from Houghton Bay and Southgate across town to the university.
Houghton Valley and Southgate residents have been involved with the Wellington Bus Review over the past two years. Christine Fowler, President of the Houghton Valley Progressive Association and Linda Cameron have attending meetings and have recently prepared a submission, with support from Newtown, Southgate and Mt Cook residents.
Linda attended the public hearing on the submission at the GRWC and councillors indicated that the details have still not been pinned down including the direct services at peak times and shelter and other facilities at the hub outside the hospital. There is still an opportunity for the community representatives to continue discussion with council officers.
Click on Bus Submission May 2014 – Houghton Valley, Melrose, Southgate to download the Houghton Valley Progressive Association submission [which our Association contributed support and suggestions to]. This outlines the issues they have raised, that are still being worked through.