Notes from the Newtown Residents’ Association Meeting
Monday 21st November
These were presented to the meeting and accepted – at the time of the AGM in September they were still with the auditor.
WCC Draft Playspaces Policy – NRA submission made
Airport runway extension S274 Notice – ready.
Introducing Ray Tuffin
Ray is the Newtown Community Liaison Officer employed by Wellington City Council, and has been in the job 3 weeks. Ray is the link between Community and Council – you can contact him on email@example.com if you have anything to report or discuss concerning WCC services.
He outlined his role and some current WCC projects coming to Newtown –
- Blindsquare – an app helping blind people navigate around business area and shops based on verbal directions.
- Eyeson – Retail security program to link businesses with other support to prevent shoplifting.
An office at 8 Constable Street will be Ray’s base, and also available for other community use.
See the full minutes for more about what Ray has been doing.
Ray and Bessie were among the WCC staff on duty at the WREMO centre 24/7 since the earthquake on 14/11. They described how this unfolded and the many tasks WCC were involved with in helping people .
Issues for the 2017 WCC Annual Plan
We have started thinking about what we might include in a submission to WCC next year. Please contact us if you have any comments or anything to add!
- Carrara Park facilities – drinking water and toilet
- General beautification – particularly trees
- Support laneways project – currently in CBD, extend to Newtown?
- Perhaps include signage too
- Query about whether WCC ‘Placemaking’ project is still current
- Love the Bay has found people want spaces to rest and watch
- Reclaiming poster bollards
- Sculptures about the place – would Wellington Sculpture Trust operate in suburbs?
- Working with Newtown School on plans for the swimming pool
This was the final formal meeting for 2016 – next meeting Monday 20th February 2017.